Exploring the Various Causes of Water Damage | SERVPRO® of Alamo Heights
For something that is so necessary to life, water can also become highly problematic in the right circumstances. One such circumstance is water damage.
Where water damage is concerned, there can be numerous causes and reasons behind it. Do you know what some of the top causes are?
From 2009 to 2015, The Travelers Companies Inc. found that the five most common causes of home claims were:
- Exterior wind damage
- Non-weather-related water damage
- Weather-related water damage
Water damage cracks the top five list twice, simply because water damage is no joke. As pointed out on that top five list, water damage is broken down into two separate categories: non-weather-related and weather-related.
Non-weather-related water damage is the most common at home and stems from things like plumbing and appliance issues. Weather-related water damage can be just as problematic, but is not as common. This type of damage can happen due to rain, snow or melting ice.
When it comes to your home, the top five reasons for water damage are:
- Plumbing issues
- Washing machine leaks
- Busted water pipes
- Aging water heaters
- Bad weather
It’s also important to note that from a cost perspective, water damage and freezing issues averaged a payout per claim of $8,861 between 2011 and 2015.
The cost of water damage can be high, but it could be higher if not covered by homeowners insurance. Be sure to check on your policy to see what is covered—in most cases, the following damages are covered in a standard policy:
- Damages caused by the weight of ice, snow or sleet
- Discharge and overflow of water, even if by accident
- Tearing apart, cracking, burning or bulging of a steam or hot water heating system
- Freezing of plumbing and pipes
Fortunately, it is possible to prevent some water damage situations and save yourself the hassle of dealing with the mess.
You can utilize preventive fixes and routine maintenance to keep your home as dry as possible. Some of these include:
- Applying water sensors and automatic shut-off valves
- Having a plumber install back flow valves and standpipes in basement drains
- Elevating appliances and personal items in the basement
- Installing metal mesh connection hoses on the washer and dryer
- Keeping gutters and downspouts free of leaves and debris
- Flushing the hot water tank every six months to rid it of sediment
- Not pouring grease down the kitchen sink
- Running the sump pump every few months and cleaning it before the rainy season
By following these tips, you may be able to reduce and/or prevent certain water damage situations at home.
Water damage can be a nightmare to deal with, but fortunately, you will always have SERVPRO® of Alamo Heights on your side to help with the cleanup and restoration process.